10 Steps to a Healthier New Year
Review Your Year
Take a look at what your diet and health have been like for the last 12 months. Think about these questions and write down your answers in a notebook so that you can look back at them again a year from now:
- How does your weight compare with a year ago?
- Do you feel healthy and have a lot of energy or are you tired all the time?
- Do you take vitamins or other nutritional supplements?
- Do you eat at home most of the time? If so, what types of foods? Whole fresh foods, boxed foods, or TV dinners?
- Do you dine out frequently? What types of restaurants do you like and what kinds of foods do you choose?
- How physically active are you? Do you exercise regularly?
- Do you eat healthy portions, or do you stuff yourself with every meal?
- Do you smoke?
- How much alcohol do you drink each week?
It's important to take an honest look at your health and dietary habits so you can set goals for the next year.
Set Your Goals
Do you want to lose weight? Do you want to be able to run up and down the stairs without getting winded? Do you want to reduce cholesterol or lower your blood pressure? Decide what you want to achieve over the next month, and over the next year.
One possible goal for your first month could be a resolution to take your lunch to work four days per week for each week this month instead of eating lunch in restaurants every day. Another example of a monthly goal would be to walk for 30 minutes four days per week each week this month.